Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Forest Path Introduction

         I've been down this path many times in my life. Since I was a hormonal, young teenager to my elder years, when all my children were gone, and I was left with my husband's ashes. I've shared secrets with the trees, rested on the rocks, cried to the bushes, and singed to the animals. This place had saved me from loneliness and from the cruel world many times over. 
        I discovered this place after an argument with my mother. I only know that it was something silly, because the fight escapes me to this day. Walking to the park I had gone to since I was a child, I discovered a mysterious path. I have always been adventurous, even to this day. I decided to keep my wits close as I walked through the entrance which read animal sanctuary. 
        A small building sat at the entrance along with a gate that closed off access from strangers who weren't willing to donate to the funds. I walked to the window which read a dollar and fifty cents. They weren't asking people very much, so I had no problem coughing up the money. The woman smiled at me and the gate was clicked open. I walked in. At first, I was disappointed at the modern look to it. The deeper I got on the trail though, the more wild it became. 
         What caught me was the fact that I felt like I was in a fantasy movie. Animals were all over the place, coming up to you without any fear of you hurting them. The plants were lush and pretty, lovely greens. One of the best things too, was the fact it gave me my private space and time to think about me and about the world. 
          I grew up volunteering and eventually, worked there. Taking care of the animals, plants and the landscape. I could come whenever I wanted; early in the morning or late at night. I always had a key to get me in. It was my place, my paradise. I never brought anyone there out of the selfish feeling of it being mine and mine alone. I didn't want to see friends or family or my husband here.
         I had taken my husband there once before, when we just started going out. He was disappointingly annoying that day, and we wound up yelling, straight in the middle of the path. That was the last time I brought him. I warned him if I saw him there again, I'd break his legs. Sometimes, he doesn't know if I'll seriously do it or not, but he understood and agreed to my wishes. "Whatever you want," was the usual line he would say. 
        I have recently been diagnosed with a illness that will likely kill me soon. If I was young and strong as before, I would not be worried, but I am elderly and weak. I find it harder to walk through my path now a days. Needing volunteers help push my wheelchair through the paths makes me sad; not being alone anymore with the nature around me. Eventually though, I will become one with the earth here.

Question: Do you guys like me writing Character Introductions? I'm curious if you guys might want to do some story writing, like you guys continue the writing and we all take turns, anyone interested in that? Just for fun of course!

4 comments:

  1. That was lovely. As it's my first time to your blog at first I thought you were reminiscing so clearly you did do a good job!
    Writing's so much fun isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! :) I really do like being in the point of view of characters cause it makes me feel like I am actually them! Writing is a lot of fun! I don't know what I'd do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dallas. I loved reading this. I thought you were writing as yourself, but you're writing as a character? Is any of the story part of yor story? I volunteered at animal homes when i was younger. Carly. X


    Carly's Beauty World

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I'm glad you liked it! I was writing as this character, with a little add of my own thoughts on nature and I have visited many animal sanctuaries. I kinda added my take on what it's like walking through one.

    ReplyDelete

Please answer the questions so I get to know about my reads and let me know what do you want to read?